I completed a bachelor degree in dentistry from Pakistan. My interest in maxillofacial surgery brought me to the UK where I gained good experience during clinical attachments at various hospitals in London including Guy’s hospital. During this time I developed an interest in the regeneration of bone which led towards a Master project. This research started with the multi-disciplinary team, including Periodontology and Molecular Biology, at Queen Marys’ University of London. My MSc project was: “Second messenger signalling underlying the synergy between Retinoic Acid and Bone Morphogenetic Proteins” which I completed in 2003.
After taking a career break in 2004, I re-started my research career in public health in January 2009 at the Department of Primary Care and Public Health of Cardiff University. The unit was rebranded as North Wales Centre for Primary Care Research and moved to Bangor University in October 2011 where I did my PhD in Healthcare Sciences in 2016 and joined Centre for Mental Health and Society in July 2018.
I have been working on SASHI which is a collaborative group of researchers from the UK, Pakistan and India.
Research Officer, July 2018 – to date
Centre for Mental Health and Society, School of Health Sciences, Bangor University
Research Project Support Officer, Nov 2013-Jun 2018
North Wales Centre for Primary Care Research, Bangor University, North Wales, UK
Research assistant, Oct 2011-Oct 2013
North Wales Centre for Primary Care Research, Bangor University, North Wales, UK
Research Assistant, Sep 2008-Sep 2011
Department of Primary Care and Public Health, Cardiff University, Wales, UK
- Research funding and grants: Control and Reduction of Opioid Prescribing in Primary care (CROPP) (£19,957), Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, Research and Development Department, March 2019 (Co-applicant).
- Nov, 2012-2014: Edwards RT, Nafees S, Williams NH, Wilkinson C, Stuart N, Jones J. Development of physical activity booklet for adult cancer survivors and its evaluation in a pilot randomised controlled trial. Grant awarded by BCUHB (£17K).
- Stella Davies. Title of dissertation: Gastrectomy, is it too much to stomach? (A systematic review of qualitative studies). MSc research, awarded in 2017.
- Esther Ezeofor. Title of dissertation: Prevention of children and adolescent overweight/obesity through reduction in dietary sugar intake (A systematic review). MSc research, awarded in Sep 2018
- Amanda Azzopardi. Title of dissertation: Facilitators and barriers to sepsis screening, by frontline health care professionals in secondary care (A systematic review. MSc research, dissertation due in Sep 2019.
- John Bailey. Current title: Patients and family experiences of effects of the opioid (mixed methods research). PhD Healthcare Sciences, registered in Mar 2019.
Ethics – Bangor University and NHS (Master students)
Systematic reviewing – International (ECRs)
- Poole R & Nafees S. The Social Determinants of Mental Health, the Pandemic and Social Justice. The Arab Journal of Psychiatry . 2021. 32, 1, 16 -20.
- Bebbington, E., Lawson, J., Nafees, S., Robinson, C. & Poole, R.,. Evaluation of a framework for safe and appropriate prescribing of psychoactive medications in a UK prison. Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health.. 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/cbm.2187
- Bailey, J., Nafees, S., Jones, L. & Poole, R. Rationalisation of long-term high-dose opioids for chronic pain: Development of an intervention and conceptual framework. British Journal of Pain. 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177%2F2049463720958731
- McPhillips, R, Nafees, S, Krishna, M, Krayer, A, Huxley, P. & Robinson, C, . Knowledge, attitudes, and experiences of self-harm and suicide: a systematic review. 2019.
- Lewis. R, Hendry, M, Din, N, Stanciu. MA, Nafees. S, et al. Factors associated with lung cancer survival – systematic mapping review and overview of systematic reviews. British Medical Journal of Systematic Reviews - in press . 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13643-019-1087-4
- Law RJ, Nafees S, Hiscock J, Wynne C, Williams NH. A lifestyle management programme focused on exercise, diet and physiotherapy support for patients with hip or knee osteoarthritis and a body mass index over 35: a qualitative study.. British Journal of General Practitioners . 2019. 17(1):145-151. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/msc.1382
- Lewis, R., Hendry, M., Din, N., Stanciu, A., Nafees, S., et al (. Pragmatic methods for reviewing exceptionally large bodies of evidence: systematic mapping review and overview of systematic reviews using lung cancer survival as an exemplar. Systematic Reviews 8. 2019. Article number: 171 (2019) . Available from: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13643-019-1087-4
- Law, R-J., Nafees, S., Hiscock, J., Wynne, C., et al . A lifestyle management programme focused on exercise, diet and physiotherapy support for patients with hip or knee osteoarthritis and a body mass index over 35: a qualitative study. Musculoskeletal Care; 2019. [cited 2020 Wed 1] p. 14. vol. 17 (2019), p.145. Report No.: vol.17. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1002/msc.1382
- Stanciu A.M, Law R.J, Nafees S, et al, (2018). Development of an intervention to expedite cancer diagnosis through primary care: a protocol. British Jounral of General Practice. 2018. Vol. 2, Issue 3. DOI: DOI: https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgpopen18X101595
- Hendry M, Pasterfield D, Adams R, Evans M, Fiander A, Robling M, Campbell C, Makin M, Gollins S, Hiscock J, Nafees S, et al . Hendry M, Pasterfield D, Adams R, Evans M, Fiander A, Robling M, Campbell C, Makin M, Gollins S, Hiscock J, Nafees S, et al (2017). Talking about human papillomavirus and cancer: development of scripted consultations through lay and professional stakeholder co-production using qualitative, quantitative and secondary data. British Medical Journal Open. 2017. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-015413
- Hendry M, Pasterfield D, Gollins S, Adams R, Evans M, Fiander A, Robling M, Campbell C, Bekkers, M-J, Hiscock J, Nafees S, et al. Hendry M, Pasterfield D, Gollins S, Adams R, Evans M, Fiander A, Robling M, Campbell C, Bekkers, M-J, Hiscock J, Nafees S, et al (2016). Talking about human papillomavirus and cancer: Protocol for a patient-centred study to develop scripted consultations. British Medical Journal Open. 2016. DOI: https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/4/e011205
- Fitzsimmons D, Phillips CJ, Bennett H, Jones M, Williams N, Lewis R, Sutton A, Matar HE, Din N, Burton K, Nafees S, Hendry M, Rickard I, Wilkinson C . Cost effectiveness of different strategies to manage patients with sciatica. Pain. 2014. 155(7):1318-27. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2014.04.008
- Neal RD, Nafees S, et al. Patient-reported measurement of time to diagnosis in cancer: development of the Cancer Symptom Interval Measure (C-SIM) and randomised controlled trial of method of delivery. BMC Health Services Research. 2014. 14:3 . DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-14-3
- Lewis R, Williams NH, Sutton AJ, Burton K, Din N, Matar HE, Hendry M, Phillips CJ, Nafees S, Fitzsimmons D, Rickard I, Wilkinson C. Comparative Clinical Effectiveness of Management Strategies for Sciatica: Systematic Review and Network Meta-Analyses. The Spine Journal. 2013. 15(6):1461-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2013.08.049
- Williams NH, Lewis R, Din NU, Matar HE, Fitzsimmons D, Phillips CJ, Sutton A, Burton K, Hendry M, Nafees S, Wilkinson C. A systematic review and meta-analysis of biological treatments targeting tumour necrosis factor α for sciatica. Eur Spine J. 2013. 2013. 22 (9): 1921-35. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-013-2739-z
- Weller D, Vedsted P, Rubin G, Walter F, Emery J, Scott S, Campbell C, Andersen RS, Hamilton W, Olesen F, Rose P, Nafees S, van Rijswijk E, Muth C, Beyer M, Neal RD . The Aarhus Statement: Improving design and reporting of studies on early cancer diagnosis. British Journal of Cancer. 2012. 106: 1262-1267. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.68
- Lewis R, Williams N, Matar HE, Din N, Fitzsimmons D, Phillips C, Jones M, Sutton A, Burton K, Nafees S, et al. The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of management strategies for sciatica: systematic review and economic model. Health Technol Assess. 2011. 15 (39). DOI: https://doi.org/10.3310/hta15390