I graduated with a psychology degree from Bangor University in 1987. I spent a few years working in the NHS and returned to Bangor School of Social Sciences as a research associate in 1990. I have followed a somewhat unconventional academic career ever since.
I have taken a leading role in social policy research and infrastructure developments to support research in Wales. My early research career was in the Centre for Social Policy Research and Development (CSPRD). I was a founding member of the Institute of Medical and Social Care Research (IMSCaR). Between 1999 and 2004 I was responsible for the North Wales Research and Development Support Service (NWRDSS) and lead for a small social care research team. In 2008, my research team joined the College of Business, Social Sciences and Law as part of a strategy to strengthen social care research in Bangor. The Centre for Mental Health and Society formed in 2012.
Building research capacity has been a consistent feature in my profile. To be successful, this requires a combination of personal and academic qualities, including the abilities to work effectively with senior colleagues (local and national) and to inspire and encourage peers and early career researchers.
I have active involvement in the supervision of postgraduate students. As Co principal investigator in the National Centre for Mental Health (NCMH) I am Academic Lead for their Service User and Carer Research Partnership. In North Wales I chair the research development forum Methods and Research in Service Settings (MARSS) in North Wales.
Since the formation of the Centre for Mental Health and Society my international research collaborations have broadened and I am part of an important research partnership between UK researchers and researchers and practitioners in South India.
Director of Personal Social Services Research Unit (PSSRU) at University of Manchester
Professor of Social Policy Research, School of Health Sciences, Bangor University
Co-Director, Centre for Mental Health and Society (BCUHB funded)
2012-2015 Head of School, School of Social Sciences, Bangor University
2012-2015 Lead Academic Social Care Collaboration
2009-2011 Director, Centre for Applied Research and Evaluation Sciences, School of Social Sciences, Bangor University
2004-2009 Director, All Wales Alliance for Research and Development in health and social care, IMSCaR, Bangor University
1999-2004 Director, North Wales Research and Development Support Service, IMSCaR, University of Wales, Bangor
1997-2003 Research Fellow/Deputy Director, Centre for Social Policy Research and Development, School of Social Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor
1990-1996 Research Associate/Officer, Centre for Social Policy Research and Development, School of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Wales, Bangor
1988-1989 Scientific Officer, Countess of Chester Hospital
1987-1988 Research Assistant, Department of Psychology, University of Wales Bangor
- Control and Reduction of Opioid Prescribing in Primary care (CROPP) (£19,957), Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, Research and Development Department, March 2019 (Co-applicant)
- Improving assessment and treatment of mental disorder after Deliberate Self Harm in South India, 2015 – 2017
- National Centre for Mental Health, 2015-2018
- Wales Kidney Research Unit, 2015- 2018
- Development of faculty, strengthening of research capability in Mysore, 2013 – 2015
- Vulnerable adults and anti-social behaviour: an exploration of current practice, 2013 – 2015
- National Institute for Social Care and Health Research All Wales Academic Social Care Research Collaboration (ASCC), 2012 – 2016
- Centre for Mental Health and Society (CMHS), 2012 – 2016
- Evaluation of Support Time Recovery Scheme for patients placed out of area, 2011 – 2014
- Service provision for people with mental health and substance misuse problems – the relationship between stigma and social exclusion, 2011 – 2013
Emily Bebbington, PhD
- Poole R, Higgo R, Robinson CA . Mental Health and Poverty. Cambridge University Press; 2014.
- Reviewing and reading research. From ideas to findings. Iphofen, R., Krayer, A. & C. Robinson . Bangor University: 2009. p. ISBN 978-1-84220-120-6.
- Poole, R. & Robinson, C.,. Mind, State and Society Social History of Psychiatry and Mental Health in Britain 1960–2010. Edited by George Ikkos, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Nick Bouras, King's College London. Chapter 4 - Social Theory, Psychiatry and Mental Health Services . RCPsych: Cambridge University Press; 2021. p. 32 - 40. DOI: https://doi-org.ezproxy.bangor.ac.uk/10.1017/9781911623793
- Poole R, Robinson CA . Training General Hospital Doctors in Mental Health Assessment using GMHAT/PC as part of a suicide prevention strategy. Chapter in The Global Mental Health Assessment Tool, Ed. Shah V, Indian Psychiatric Society. 2017.
- Bebbington, E., Lawson, J., Nafees, S., Robinson, C. & Poole, R.,. Evaluation of a framework for safe and appropriate prescribing of psychoactive medications in a UK prison. Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health.. 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/cbm.2187
- Harding, K., Poole, R. & Robinson, C.,. The outsourcing of risk: out of area placements for those diagnosed with personality disorder in the UK. Lancet Psychiatry. 2020. 7, 9, p. 730-731. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30148-6
- Poole R, Bailey J, Robinson CA . The Opioid Crisis and British Prisons. Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health. CBMH. 2019. DOI: 10.1002/cbmh.2136. Available from: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/cbm.2136
- McPhillips, R, Nafees, S, Krishna, M, Krayer, A, Huxley, P. & Robinson, C, . Knowledge, attitudes, and experiences of self-harm and suicide: a systematic review. 2019.
- Poole R, Robinson CA . Self-Harm and Suicide: Beyond Good Intentions. University and College Counselling Journal. 2019. 4-9. Available from: https://www.bacp.co.uk/bacp-journals/university-and-college-counselling/may-2019/self-harm-and-suicide/
- Krayer A, Robinson CA, Poole R. . Exploration of joint working practices on anti-social behaviour between criminal justice, mental health and social care agencies. A qualitative study. Health Soc Care Community. 2018. 00: 1–11. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1111/hsc.12543
- Poole R, Robinson C.A. Profile: Vanessa Cameron: Thirty-six years at the Royal College of Psychiatrists. BJPsych Bulletin. 2016. 40 (6), 341-345. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1192%2Fpb.bp.116.055459
- Ryan, T., Carden, J., Higgo, R., Poole, R. & Robinson, C.A . An assessment of need for mental health rehabilitation amongst in-patients in a Welsh region. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. 2016. 1-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-016-1213-8
- Krayer, A, Gwilym, H, Seddon, D, Robinson, CA . The Influence of Child Sexual Abuse on the Self from Adult Narrative Perspectives. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse. 2015. 24 (2) 135-151. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10538712.2015.1001473
- Rajendra R, Krishna M, Robinson CA, Heggere N, Poole R . A feasibility study to establish a Deliberate Self-harm Register in a state hospital in southern India. British Journal of Medical Practitioner. 2015. 8(1): a807. Available from: https://www.bjmp.org/content/feasibility-study-establish-deliberate-self-harm-register-state-hospital-southern-india
- Krishna M, Rajendra R, Majgi SM, Heggere N, Parimoo S, Robinson CA, Poole R. Severity of suicidal intent, method and behaviour antecedent to an act of self-harm: A cross sectional study of survivors of self-harm referred to a tertiary hospital in Mysore. Asian Journal of Psychiatry. . 2014. 12:134-139. DOI: DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajp.2014.09.002
- Seddon, D. and Robinson, C.A.. Carer assessment: continuing tensions and dilemmas for social care practice. Journal of Health and Social care in the Community, Special Edition.. Journal of Health and Social care in the Community, Special Edition. 2014.
- Robinson, C.A., Cahill, D. Nikolopoulos, K et al., . Evaluating barriers to entering the Assembly: What prevents us from standing?. Final Report to the Independent Remuneration Board, Welsh Assembly. 2014.
- Krayer A., Robinson CA, Poole R, Wolfendale C. Service provision for people with mental health and substance misuse problems – the relationship between stigma and social exclusion. National Institute for Social Care and Health Research. 2013.
- Seddon, D., Krayer, A., Robinson, C., Woods, B. & Tommis, Y. Care coordination: translating policy into practice for older people. Quality in Ageing and Older Adults. 2013. 14 (2): 81-92. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/14717791311327033
- Parveen, S., Morrison, V. & Robinson, C.A. . Ethnicity, familism and willingness to care: Important influences on caregiver mood?. Aging and Mental Health . 2013. 17.1 (2013): 115-124.
- Parveen, S., Morrison, V. & Robinson, C.A. . Does coping mediate the relationship between familism and caregiver outcomes?. Aging and Mental Health . 2013. 1-5.
- Bailey, J; Poole, R; Ruben, S; Robinson, CA . Is alcohol consumption irrelevant to outcome in anxiety and depression?. British Journal of Psychiatry . 2012. 201: 326. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.201.4.326
- Poole R, Robinson C, Poole L. The problem with drink. Community Safety,. 2011. 10 (1): 47-51.
- Bailey J, Poole R, Zinovieff F, Robinson C, Parry O, Tocque K, Kennedy L . Achieving Positive Change In The Drinking Culture In Wales. Alcohol Concern Cymru. 2011. Available from: https://alcoholchange.org.uk/publication/achieving-positive-change-in-the-drinking-culture-of-wales
- Krayer, A., & Robinson, C.A. . Early review of the mental health crisis care concordat. Bangor University & Welsh Government; 2017. Available from: https://research.bangor.ac.uk/portal/files/20377265/MHCCC_FINAL_REPORT_29_06_2017.pdf
- Krayer, A & Robinson, C. Early Review of the Mental Health Crisis Care Concordat. Report to Welsh Government. 2016.
- Krayer, A., Robinson, CA, Poole, R & Wolfendale, C. Service provision for people with mental health and substance misuse problems – the relationship between stigma and social exclusion. Final Report to the National Institute for Social Care and Health Research. 2013.
- Seddon, D., Krayer, A., Robinson, C.A., Gwilym, H., McKeown, G. and Hodrien, C. . Adult survivors and their families: current needs and service responses. Final Report to the National Institute for Social Care and Health Research; 2012.
- Poole R, Robinson C, Bailey J, Shelton C, Ruben S. The DIAL study: Deaths Involving Alcohol In Wales. Research Report. Welsh Assembly Government. 2011.
- Robinson, CA, Seddon, D, Krayer, A, Tommis, Y, Roberts, A, Gray, B . Carers for people with mental health problems: needs assessment to service provision. Final Report to the National Institute for Social Care and Health Research. 2011.
- Robinson, C A; Poole, R; Slegg, G; Ruben, S and Bailey, J. Alcohol-Involved Death: Pilot Study. Final Report submitted to Welsh Assembly Government. 2009.